Labels

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Courtney tries to make a magnetic make up board

When I saw this on Pinterest I knew I would have to make it. It is absolutely brilliant! Now, mine is not as snazzy but I wanted to keep it simple and I did try to frame it but my glue stuff messed up and didn't mix and therefore it didn't adhere and being the impatient person I am I decided to go sans frame.

I adhered it to my cabinet using 3M Command Strips. I've always had great luck with them holding steady and coming off clean so I figured it was the way to go since I rent :)

So I didn't do a very good job of documenting how I made this but the good news is, it was a relatively brainless process. 
1. Purchase a piece of sheet metal. I got mine at Home Depot. It was the most expensive thing I've had to buy for a project yet at $10 but it was worth every penny. Mine is a 12x24. I originally wanted to hang it horizontally but there was no where to put it like that in my bathroom.
2. Circle magnets (Wal-Mart $5 for 50) and your hot glue gun.
3. Gather up all your make up and start adhering magnets to back.
4. This was the point when I realize hmmph what will I do with my tubed make up and smaller pieces and went rummaging around my apt. As you can see I gathered old pill bottles and medicine boxes and covered them with scrapbook paper. 
5. Add magnets to the boxes. I suggest using at least 2 per pill bottle (as they tend to want to rotate dumping all your goods), 2 for the smaller boxes and 4 for the bigger boxes. 
6. Use Command strips to hang our piece of metal and then arrange your make up however you like. Clearly my OCD (or CDO for those of who like things in ABC order!) shows as I have it arranged by where on the face it's applied. :)

Now enjoy actually being able to find that shade of eye shadow/lipstick/eyeliner in the morning!

Touche.

No comments:

Post a Comment